Morning Stretches to Kickstart Your Day
Waking up in the morning full of sunshine isn't always easy. Most of us need a little boost to ready ourselves to face the day. Want to know one of the most effective ways to do just that? It's something we should all do more often - stretch! Awaken your body and mind with these energizing morning stretches to kickstart your day.
These movements are easy to follow and are useful in opening your lungs and stretching multiple body parts. They can help prepare your muscles for whatever it will go through during your day. The next time you get out of bed, skip the coffee, and do these gentle morning stretches to get your body ready to greet the day.
The cat pose is a traditional yoga pose, also known as Marjariasana. It requires you to engage your core so that you get an effective stretch in your neck and back.
1. Start on the floor in an all-fours position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
2. Breathe out as you slowly arch your spine up and curl your chin to the chest. At the same time, draw your belly button into your spine.
3. Focus on spreading your shoulder blades wide and stretching your lower back.
4. Hold 30 seconds.
Child's Pose is a relaxing beginner yoga pose that stretches the muscles of the lower back and inner thighs. Depending on your flexibility, it may feel like work at the beginning, but keep at it, and it'll get more comfortable over time.
1. Start on the floor on all fours with your knees out wide.
2. Gently drive your butt back onto your heels while you stretch your hands out in front of you, keeping arms straight.
3. Relax your back and place your forehead down on the floor.
4. Breathe in and out slowly as you relax and lengthen your spine.
5. Hold 30 seconds.
Standing Forward Bend
This stretch targets your lower back and hamstrings. Focus on elongating those body parts as you perform the movement.
1. Stand with both feet directly beneath your hips.
2. Keeping a slight bend in your knees and your back straight, bend forward at the waist.
3. Hold your elbows, or if you have the flexibility, let your arms hang down towards the ground as you take slow, deep breaths.
4. Gently turn your head side to side, then up and down.
5. Hold 30 seconds.
6. Slowly return to standing, rounding your back one vertebra at a time.
The twisting lunge can help open up tight hips and loosen your spine. To maintain your balance, keep your legs about hip distance apart.
1. Start on the floor in a lunge position with your right foot flat on the ground in front and your left leg behind you, knee on the ground.
2. Squeezing your belly button in, inhale as you slowly raise your arms and stretch your hands towards the ceiling.
3. Exhale as you gently push your hips towards the ground while you relax your shoulders and keep your chest open and lifted.
4. Slowly twist your torso and turn to face your right side. Hold for 30 seconds before you return to face forward.
5. Repeat twist on the left side.
6. Lower arms and repeat lunge and twists with your left foot flat on the ground in front of you and your right leg behind you, knee on the ground.
A healthy way to kickstart your day
There you have it, some easy to do morning stretches to kickstart your day. Do these simple energizing morning stretches to increase circulation, banish stiffness, and feel energized all day long. Give them a try and see the difference!
How do you start your mornings? Let me know in the comments.
I’d love to chat with you about your health & wellness journey and chat more about how I can help you reach your goals and create a true healthy lifestyle makeover! Schedule a free 45 minute Wellness Consult with me today before my schedule is booked. Click HERE to schedule.